DIY compost bucket

http://fixlovely.blogspot.ca/2013/11/diy-compost-bucket.html
This is so cool - I have just recently started composting, and I am so excited to get good compost for my garden next year!

So, I wanted to have my own compost bucket. I looked online, and those adorable buckets are no less than $30 each, and aren't all that big. They are really pretty though...

But they are meant to go on your countertop... which actually, is disgusting. It is terribly unsanitary to have a bucket of broken down waste scraps, composting in a bin, on your countertop where you prepare food. 

I made my own under-the-sink bucket for less than $3!

So, my type of compost bucket is meant to be out of sight. I keep mine under the sink, but it can go by the trash can, in the laundry room off of the kitchen, or in a pullout drawer alongside the trash.

The important thing is that the bucket has holes so it can breathe (stuff can't compost without air circulation). But, you don't want to smell decomposed matter in your clean kitchen!

An old plastic step trash can would work, a fishing bucket, a large piece of tupperware, or even a regular size plastic trash can with a lid would work. The point is simply that it's a plastic container with a lid that fits tightly. If you want to have it on your counter (or have it pretty-looking), you can get one of those mini galvanized pails from Hobby Lobby or some other crafts store. Like this from Amazon (picture is linked):


So here was my kitty litter bucket (after I washed it out).


Buy a charcoal filter (intended for a litter box!) in the pet section of Amazon for $3:




Lay the filter on top of the lid and trace it - then take the filter off and, using a drill, screw some holes in the lid within the boundary of the filter: 


Using hot glue, glue the filter to the underside of the lid. When the filter wears out (6 months or so), you can just rip the old one off and glue on a new one!


And the finished compost bucket!


I've had this under my sink for about 9 months as of today, and haven't replaced the filter yet. I dump vegetable matter, coffee grinds, and tea bags in my bucket. I store it under the sink, and when I open the cabinet, I can't smell a thing!!

It's only when I open the bucket that it smells. But that is compost. It's just a stale coffee smell for me, because that's what I put in it the most - coffee grounds.