Transforming the Master Bathroom Part II - painting cabinets

http://fixlovely.blogspot.ca/2013/11/transforming-master-bathroom-part-ii.html
 A year after I completed my initial Master Bathroom transformation (painting all the hardware, including the shower enclosure), I have finally gotten around to cabinetry!

I love clean, neutral wall colors for my house, and exciting colors to be in dramatic "signature" pieces. I'm still working on my signature pieces, but for now, here's the second part of my master bathroom reveal!

It involved painting the cabinetry, and finally decorating my bathroom in (what I hope is) a professional look. 

The makeover part 2 didn't cost me anything, because I already had primer, paint, and sandpaper/sander, and wood filler. 

Decorating, however, did cost a little - I'll talk about it further below.

I will post the pic of the final reveal at the bottom!

Here's some before pics (hardware been painted):

Pippin is like, WHY IS THE DOOR CLOSED?

Right before I spray painted the shower enclosure.
I can't make this picture bigger without losing the resolution, but here's opposite the vanity...


The whole bathroom was white and purple/blue, with brass knobs and hardware, but chrome taps and shower enclosure. (I painted the walls and the hardware in part one).

Anyways, after all that work, here is what I had to work with after master bathroom transformation part one: 


much nicer shower enclosure

Spray painted light fixture, painted walls, new decor...
But, as you can see, those awful oak cabinets just look so bad next to the rest of the bathroom....


So, I finally redid them! 

I took off all the doors and drawers...

Including the ones above the toilet,



I used wood filler to fill the holes from the cabinet hinges. I wanted to have open shelving above the toilet.
And sanded everything. I kept the bathroom door closed, turned on a box fan, and opened the window. You don't want that sawdust making its way into your bedroom...


(protected the stuff inside the cabinets from sawdust)

I primed everything twice with a high hiding primer by Valspar (to make sure no oaky color made it through my white paint)...



While I was waiting for all that to dry, I decided I wanted towel rungs on the back of the bathroom door instead of on the wall - anything to keep things clean and ascetic-looking. The shortest bars sold by Wal Mart were 24" bars for $8 each. When I brought them home, they were too long for my door to open right (it was 24" wide too), so I had to cut 4" off with a hacksaw so they would fit on the door.


First bar installed!

I decided that I wanted to paint the toilet area a lighter shade than it currently was (colors that are too dark makes any space look smaller), so I used the same primer to prime the walls and the overhead cabinet:


And painted the toilet area walls and the cabinet the same top color. If you paint your cabinets the same color as the walls, they look more like built-ins and don't visually break up the space.
I wanted white vanity cabinets, so here is the vanity cabinets fully painted:


I had to put plastic bags between the cabinet doors to keep them from sticking to each other until the paint cured a little more. They were left on overnight.

And the toilet area fully painted...


Now for decorating!
I had some towels that were a gift that I'd never used because they were such a deep blue. They have golden elephant - palm tree trim.

 I LOVE THESE!

So I wanted to decorate in colors that blended the towel colors. 

After a shopping trip to Hobby Lobby (during a week when almost everything I wanted was on sale!)
I had a basket, candle, mirror, and some little supplies that I used to make my own mini fake succulent planter. 


Isn't it cute?
Pippin begs for water whenever I'm in the bathroom
I love my new bathroom!



Hubby and I both love our "new" bathroom! It feels so much bigger and modern.



What do you think?